Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Screaming Child

I was recently sitting in the lobby of the urgent care and their was a screaming child (approximately 2 years old). The mother could do nothing to make this child stop screaming, she walked around with her, held her, passed her off to others that were with her. Several people waiting in the lobby were getting really annoyed by this child. I sat there and thought to myself, before I had Audrey I would have been extremely annoyed by this small child screaming and the parent "not doing anything about it." At one point, a lady that had been waiting got up to leave and mumbled to herself, "All I needed was to come to Urgent Care to remind myself why I never had kids in the first place." It goes to show you how others just have no idea what it's like to have a child going through a tantrum and feeling helpless at the time.

I felt really bad for this mother, she had several kids in the waiting area and they were there for one of the kids to get checked for an ear infection. She was at her wits end and said I will give them 5 more minutes for us to get called back before we are leaving. I started to feel really bad for the kid with the ear infection thinking he wouldn't get treated because his little sister was being so naughty.

All of a sudden a woman walked in with her 10 year old daughter to be seen for an ear infection also and the mother could sense this woman was totally flustered and just went over and said hi to them and asked the little girl if she wanted to color and just whipped out a pen and paper out of her purse and just took over the situation and talked to the girl for probably 20 more minutes until the little boy was finally called back to see the doctor. This woman totally saved this frazzled mother from leaving the clinic.

I thought this was so awesome that this stranger just totally saved the day. It was really cool.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I love stories like this. Faith in humanity!

Mindy said...

Things like this do make you feel like there are good people out there.

Emily B. said...

it takes a village!