Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sweet Corn Days

This morning we went down to Estherville, IA, the town I grew up in, to enjoy sweet corn days. I have not been back to Estherville for many years, so it was fun to go back and drive past my house I grew up in and check out some of the neighborhoods. We went to the parade with Natalie, Harvey, Mindy, Jon and Mindy's family. It was a great parade where we actually got to sit in the shade, thank goodness. We enjoyed free corn after the parade, you can tell I was a rookie when I went up to get my corn holding my wallet and I noticed nobody was paying for their corn. They never had sweet corn days when I lived there. Brent hopes to head down again next year, but get their early enough to run in the 10k, Run for the Cob!

After lunch we headed back to Mankato and Audrey took a great nap and then we headed out to the lake for the Asleson family pig roast. It's always great. Audrey loved checking out the lake, playing hide and seek with Grandpa and Grandma, and running around and jumping. She was so tired and sweaty when we left.





This was the funniest thing in the parade, it was hilarious. It was some type of clown car that spun around and the front wheels would come off the ground.


This is when you know the parade is done, the old hearse takes the end!


Audrey enjoying some corn!



Natalie and her cousin John. I wanted to include a great picture I got of Mindy eating corn, but she would never forgive me, maybe some day I will include it on here somehow:)




4 comments:

Mindy said...

Ha! When I saw this post I quick scanned through the pictures to see if that picture was on here. Whew! We can still be friends for longer :)

glad you guys came, it was fun!! Next time come early for the race and stay later for the swimming!!

ashton said...

I still vote you put it on!

Christine Wood said...

looks like fun! I love corn.

Heidi said...

Looks like fun! I'd like to see this mystery photo of Mindy please...